We're excited to move from pushing for the right to raise our own food and hens in our yards. Now there will be lots more to learn about how to do it right in addition to lots of other ways to enjoy living green in Brookfield!
If you plan on raising hens and need to learn about their requirements, want to lean about how to make a rain barrel (and where to get the supplies!), are interested in learning to garden in very little space, are curious about canoeing the Salt Creek or exploring our forest preserves, then this is your group! We'll continue the discussion and learning on our new Facebook page. Just click "like" below:
Wednesday, October 12, 2011
Tuesday, October 11, 2011
The Board of the Village of Brookfield voted last night to allow 3 hens per residence/lot/address. If you have a duplex or a double lot, it's still only 3 total allowed for the address. Additionally, no composting of chicken manure may take place.
With all the love in the world, thank you to everyone who supported this ordinance. Let's continue to show the community all the positives that come from living in a chicken-friendly community. Do right by your hens and neighbors, keep a coop that you'd be proud to show off.
THANK YOU!! Pat yourselves on the back. Everyone did a great job.
POWER TO THE POULTRY! ;)
I look forward to a late spring Tour de Coop and hen club showings...all sorts of fun stuff!
Thursday, October 6, 2011
This is the big one, folks! Come out! Call the board members, send them emails...let them know we want this for our community!
This ignorant way of thinking, that chickens are in some way "dangerous", can only be met with patience and education. Get your fact cards out, let them know all the pluses to keeping backyard hens and that there are sound facts that debunk all of the popular myths.
If you can not attend the meeting, please call or email the village trustees to share your thoughts:
- Michael J. Garvey, Village President 708-485-1400 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Keith Sbiral Asst. Village Manager 708.485.1115 email@example.com
- Cathy Colgrass-Edwards, Village Trustee 708-387-0437 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kit P. Ketchmark, Village Trustee 708-485-5296 email@example.com
- C.P. Hall, Village Trustee 708-485-2847
- Brian S. Oberhauser, Village Trustee 708-485-4636 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ryan P. Evans, Village Trustee 708-357-3276; email@example.com
- Michael A. Towner, Village Trustee 708-485-3921 firstname.lastname@example.org